Tuesday 29 May 2012

Beautiful Roasted Carrots


So last week I celebrated a rather big birthday. I turned twenty-nine for the second time. To celebrate, we went on a little culinary walkabout around Los Angeles, and we ended up at Huckleberry, an establishment I adore.

As my husband and I were admiring their roasted carrot and avocado salad, I thought to myself, "I should try something like this." I used different spices, and I didn't use the avocado (because I didn't have any on hand), but here is what I did.

I took four carrots and introduced them to my mandoline slicer. This is what happened to them:



I put them straight into my casserole pan. Then I seasoned them with the following:

3 cloves of pressed garlic
2 teaspoons of extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon of thyme
1 teaspoon of oregano
and some ground sea salt (to taste)


Oh, so pretty! (I love the color orange.) I popped them in the oven, which had been pre-heated to 400 degrees and kept my eye on them. Can I just say they made the whole house smell wonderful?

I think it was twenty-ish minutes or so before they looked like the carrots at the top of the post and the ones pictured here:


Enjoy!

1 comment: