Sunday 20 May 2012

Steel-Cut Oat and Raspberry Scones


If you're like me, you worry about your health. I was terrified, terrified after I watched that 60 Minutes piece on sugar being toxic. I am addicted to sugar. One of the things we love to eat of a morning are fresh, hot, yummy vegan muffins and scones. And what do you put in muffins and scones? Sugar! Brown sugar, white sugar (and I do get the vegan kind), maple sugar: sugar!

When my husband asked me, "Do you think you can make muffins without sugar?"

My answer was, "Um, no."

I take it back. This creation is a cross between a muffin and a scone (scuffin?) and contains no added sugar. I know that sounds gross, but it isn't. See, the bananas and raspberries contribute all the sweetness these muffins need. Here's what you do.

Cook 1/3 of a cup of steel-cut oats and a pinch of salt in 1 cup of water, preheat the oven to 375, then pour the hot oats over three ripe bananas and mash the mixture together.

Okay, next you're going to add

1/4 cup flaxseed meal
1/4 cup of canola oil
2/3rds cup of whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of salt
and
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon

Mix the batter until everything is well-blended:



Then, go ahead and add your raspberries. I use just over a 1/2 cup. Spoon  mixture into well-greased muffin tins. I fill each tin a little over half full. This recipe will make a dozen scones.


Bake the scones in the oven at 375 for about twenty to twenty-five minutes. 




No comments:

Post a Comment